Section 2: Information for Junior Members

  1. A junior member is a person who has been admitted to Merton College (the College) for the purposes of attending a course of study leading to conferral of a degree in the University of Oxford (the University) or any other course of study for which College approval has been granted. All members of the College, including junior members, are subject to and bound by the Statutes and Bylaws of the College from time to time in force. All junior members are encouraged to participate in the academic, social, cultural and recreational life of the College in the broadest sense.
  2. In order to be admitted as a junior member a person:
    1. (i) Must receive and accept a written offer from the College enrolling her or him on a course of study, and
    2. (ii) Must agree to abide by College and University Regulations, and
    3. (iii) Must matriculate as a member of the University and attend at a College Ceremony of Admission.
  3. A person ceases to be a junior member when the course of study is completed or is terminated for any other reason.
  4. An undergraduate is a junior member who is enrolled on a course of undergraduate studies at the University of Oxford.
  5. A graduate is a junior member who is enrolled on a course of graduate studies at the University of Oxford.
  6. A second BA student is an undergraduate who has already obtained a degree qualification at another institution, or who is deemed by the College to have equivalent academic standing. A second BA student may be dispensed from sitting the First Public Examination, thereby allowing for completion of an undergraduate degree course within two years. Such students are deemed to have ‘senior status’. A second BA student has the same academic obligations as an undergraduate. However, for the purposes of residence and provision of accommodation by the College, a second BA student is normally treated as a graduate. The term ‘undergraduate’ in this Handbook shall be taken to include second BA students except where specifically indicated to the contrary.
  7. A visiting student is a junior member who is not enrolled on a course of undergraduate or graduate studies at the University of Oxford.
  8. An exchange student is a junior member who has migrated to the College from another higher studies institution in exchange with a junior member who has in turn migrated from the College to that other institution. Exchange students may be classified as being of undergraduate or graduate status, depending upon the circumstances in which they are admitted.
  1. The academic year runs from 1 October to 30 September and is divided into three terms, Michaelmas term (autumn), Hilary term (spring), and Trinity term (summer).
  2. Full term is of eight weeks duration, each week commencing on Sunday. Certain subjects require undergraduates to be in residence for extended terms in some years of their degree.
  3. Weeks in Full term are referred to by number, 1st week, 2nd week, etc. Weeks out of Full term may also be referred to by number, 0th week, 9th week, etc.
  4. College terms commence on Thursday in 0th week and end on Saturday of 8th week. Undergraduates must return to residence by Thursday of 0th Week (whether or not they are due to sit College collections) unless they have, in advance, sought and received permission from the Senior Tutor.
  5. Vacation periods between terms are referred to as the Christmas vacationEaster vacation and Long vacation (summer).
  6. Full terms in the 2020-21 academic year are as follows:
    • Michaelmas term: 11 October 2020 to 5 December 2020
    • Hilary term: 17 January 2021 to 13 March 2021
    • Trinity term: 25 April 2021 to 19 June 2021
  1. The College is administered by its Governing Body which comprises the Warden, who chairs its meetings, and Fellows who are normally employees either of the College or of the University.
  2. The Fellows include TutorsResearch FellowsCollege Officers and Professorial Fellows.
  3. The Governing Body meets three times each term and meetings in which open business is discussed are attended by the Presidents of the Junior and Middle Common Rooms. (see part 11)
  4. The day-to-day affairs of the College are administered by the following College Officers, who are normally Fellows acting in a full-time or part-time capacity:
    1. The Sub Warden, who deputises for the Warden, convenes the Governing Body and administers College bylaws;
    2. The Senior Tutor, who is responsible for the overall administration of academic business;
    3. The Principal of the Postmasters, and her or his Deputy, who are responsible for administering discipline among junior members;
    4. The Finance Bursar, who is responsible for the overall administration of financial business;
    5. The Domestic Bursar, who is responsible for the overall administration of domestic business;
    6. The Land Agent, who is responsible for administration of the College’s estates and buildings;
    7. The Dean, who arranges supplication for degrees and other ceremonies;
    8. The Dean of Graduates, who is responsible for pastoral care of graduates: Tutors are responsible for the pastoral care of undergraduates;
    9. The Chaplain, who, as well as being responsible for the Chapel, also has responsibility for the welfare of junior members and convenes the Student Support Sub-Committee; he is supported in the Chapel by an Associate Chaplain and, in his welfare role, by the Welfare Adviser, two Junior Deans for Welfare and the College Nurse;
    10. The Librarian, who is responsible for all aspects of the College libraries, special collections and archives, and is supported by a Deputy Librarian, an Archivist, and other library staff. In addition the Librarian administers the College pictures;
    11. The Development Director, who is responsible for the College’s Fundraising and Alumni Relations (to include Alumni Events and Publications);
    12. Other College Officers, including the Garden Master, the Computer Officer, the Senior Treasurers of the Junior Common Room and Amalgamated Clubs, the Equality Adviser, the Reed Rubin Organist and Director of Music & Director of College Music, and the Prevent Officer.
  5. The College is administered through a series of standing committees, each of them reporting to the Governing Body. Those of particular importance to junior members are:
    1. The Warden and Tutors’ Committee, convened by the Senior Tutor, which regulates all matters relating to undergraduates and also has authority to make and enforce regulations on all matters concerning all junior members, including academic work, use of College facilities and disciplinary matters;
    2. The Graduate Committee, convened by the Senior Tutor, oversees matters concerning graduate junior members, including academic progress and welfare;
    3. The Domestic Committee, convened by the Domestic Bursar, which is responsible for oversight of the domestic management of the College, including suggestions, requests and complaints bought to it by junior members, who are represented on the Committee by the Presidents of the Junior and Middle Common Rooms;
    4. The Finance Committee, convened by the Finance Bursar, which is responsible for oversight of the financial management of the College, including charges to junior members;
    5. The Library & Archives Committee, convened by the Librarian, responsible for the oversight of the college Library and Archives and related services provided to the college community. Undergraduates and graduates are represented on the committee and play an important role in developing policy and services.
    6. The Development and Alumni Relations Committee, convened by the Director of Development, oversees the College’s fundraising and alumni relations activities. Both elements of its work are of great benefit to the student body and junior members of the College are represented on the Committee by the Presidents of the Junior and Middle Common Rooms.
  1. The following members of College staff are of particular importance to junior members:

    1. The College Accountant and Bursary Clerks are responsible for collection of fees, charges and other College bills. The Finance Bursaryis on the ground floor of the Finlay Building;

    2. The Academic RegistrarGraduate Officer, and Academic Officers are responsible for the administration of academic matters relating to junior members. The Academic Office is on the ground floor of Fellows’ Quad Staircase 4;

    3. The Schools Liaison and Access Officer and Admissions Manager work with schools and individuals to encourage applications and to widen access, liaise with the JCR Access Representative over junior members' involvement in these projects, and also work with the student teams for Open Days and the Undergraduate Admissions Process;

    4. The Head of Conference and Accommodation and Housekeeping Manager are responsible for the administration of all accommodation provided for junior members, and ancillary services, including furnishings, equipment and cleaning. Their offices are on the ground floor of the Finlay Building;

    5. The Conference and Events Manager is responsible for the booking of all term time meeting rooms within the College and arrangements for all vacation time conference business in College. The Events Office is responsible for the booking of all term time teaching rooms within the College and coordinating all College events which are held in the College Hall, the Savile Room and the Senior Common Rooms. The Events office is on the ground floor of the Finlay Building;

    6. The Steward is responsible for the service of meals in Hall. The Steward’s office is on the ground floor of the Finlay Building;

    7. The Head Porter and Lodge Porters are responsible for security, issuing keys and administration of post. The main Lodge is at the entrance to the College in Merton Street. There is also a Lodge at the entrance to Holywell Buildings in Holywell Street;

    8. The IT Department is responsible for administration of the College data network and computer rooms.  The Head of IT oversees IT in Oriel, Corpus Christi & Merton Colleges.  The IT Office is located within the Finlay Building, on the staircase between the first and second floors; unfortunately, there is no accessible entrance. College IT questions and suggestions can be reported using the IT Service Desk form or via email ( Ideas, issues and enquiries are welcome to the contact details above but may also be addressed to The Head of IT, or the JCR or MCR IT representatives;

    9. The Web & Media Officer is responsible for the college website, intranet and social media channels, as well as for press and media relations. All members are encouraged to contribute content to the College's online presence. The Web & Media Officer is based in Room 5, 6 Merton Street.  Visitors and suggestions are always welcome;

    10. The Development Office is responsible for the College’s Fundraising and Alumni Relations.  Approximately £4.2 million per year was raised for the College during its 750th Anniversary Campaign, which ended in 2014; approximately £1-2 million per year currently. Some twenty to thirty alumni events are run each year; junior members are welcome to attend or help at many of these (Alumni Events Officers); students are also invited to apply for paid employment each year on the annual Telephone Campaign (Development Officer); several publications are produced each year, with news from students, Fellows and alumni (Alumni Communications Officer). The Development office is on the top floor of the Finlay Building and the primary contact for all enquiries, including College merchandise, is the Alumni Events & Stewardship Officer;

    11. The Chapel Administrator provides administrative support for the running of the Chapel and College Choir, including bookings for concerts, plays and other events.  The Chapel Administrator’s office is on the second floor of Fellows’ Quad, Staircase 4, to the right of the Academic Office. The Verger oversees the use of the Chapel for worship, concerts and other activities. The Verger’s office is the Sacristy;

    12. The Student Support Administrator assists those providing welfare, financial and non-academic support to the student body. The Student Support Administrator shares an office with the Chapel Administrator on the second floor of Fellows’ Quad, Staircase 4;

    13. The Estates Department is responsible for the upkeep of all external property, buildings and land owned by the College. The Estates Office is on the first floor of the Finlay Building;

    14. The College Surveyor is responsible for overseeing the maintenance of the College Properties; a College Maintenance Team carries out repairs and minor works to the College Buildings. The Surveyor is based in the Estates Department; the Maintenance Department can be contacted at, or using the Maintenance Service Desk form.

  2. Staff contact information can be found on the student homepage.

  1. Undergraduates will be assigned to Directors of Studies who have overall responsibility for the oversight of their teaching, monitoring their progress and encouraging their academic development. Where the undergraduate is on a joint course, there will be a single Director of Studies who will liaise as necessary with the other subject tutors.
  2. Undergraduates will be taught by Tutors or Fellows or Lecturers employed by the College or by other persons considered by the College to be suitably qualified.
  3. Tutors will set out programmes of work with reasonable amounts of time for completion both during term and during vacation periods. Oxford’s undergraduate courses require that a considerable amount of study will be done in vacations both to consolidate and expand ground covered in the previous term and to prepare for the coming term. Extended essays or other academic exercises may be set. Non-academic commitments should not exceed two weeks in the shorter vacations and eight weeks in the Long Vacation. Undergraduates are advised to plan to be able to access the books and other resources which they will need for vacation study.
  4. Academic obligations of undergraduates are outlined in detail in section 33. Tutors may require that undergraduates attend all:
    1. College tutorials, which undergraduates will normally attend with one or more other undergraduates;
    2. College classes or seminars, in which undergraduates will be taught in larger groups;
    3. University lectures, classes and practicals.
  5. The teaching programme will vary from subject to subject and from term to term and will normally be confined to term. The College will comply with the University’s recommended patterns of teaching for each subject.
  6. Tutors will provide prompt and suitable appraisal of all teaching assignments.
  7. At the end of every term undergraduates will be provided with a questionnaire to enable comment on the teaching they have received from the College.
  8. At the end of every term or when attending an Undergraduate Collection (see below) undergraduates will have an opportunity to discuss academic matters and receive a report on academic performance by their principal tutors that term from Directors of Studies. Tutorial reports are, in general, recorded and held on a web-based system called Teaching Management System (TMS). TMS reports are available for undergraduates to view online.
  9. Undergraduates will attend once annually an Undergraduate Collection, that is, a formal progress meeting with subject Tutors in the presence of the Warden and Senior Tutor, and will receive a report on academic performance. It is expected that undergraduates will make every effort to attend at the time allocated.
  10. Undergraduates may be required to attend College examinations, called Collections, at the start of term, and will be advised by Tutors at the end of the preceding term of the subjects on which they are to be examined.  Undergraduates will be notified by their Directors of Study of their results and these will be held on file in the Academic Office. Where appropriate, Directors of Study will propose prizes for good performance.  Tutors will normally return collections by Friday of 2nd Week.
  11. Directors of Study will advise undergraduates on options choices but it will be the individual undergraduate’s responsibility to ensure that their combination of papers complies with the University’s Examination Regulations. Each new undergraduate will be issued with the link to the online document on arrival.
  12. Undergraduates may be permitted to change their Tutor for valid academic and other reasons and may expect a sympathetic response to a reasonable request to change tutorial partners. All such requests should be addressed to the Senior Tutor.
  13. All requests for alternative examination arrangements in college collections and public examinations (including requirements based on disability, religious obligations and welfare issues) should be addressed to the Academic Registrar at the earliest opportunity, and at the very latest by the end of the 4th Week in the term preceding the term in which the papers are to be sat.
  14. If undergraduates have any complaint or grievance concerning teaching arrangements or teaching staff, they may bring it to the Senior Tutor. They may also seek advice from the Academic Affairs Officer of the JCR and this will often be the most appropriate course of action in the first instance. Any complaint that is not resolved by the Senior Tutor within a reasonable time-frame may be referred to the Warden as a formal complaint, in line with the College’s Complaints and Appeals Procedure. (see Appendix 8)
  15. Undergraduates may also take a concern related to academic or other matters to a Tutor in their subject, the Senior Tutor, the Chaplain, or the Welfare Adviser.
  1. Graduates will be assigned by the University to academic Supervisors, who may be Fellows of the College in some cases. Academic obligations of graduates are outlined in section 34.
  2. Graduates will be assigned by the College to College Advisers, who, with the Dean of Graduates, may act as a first point of contact for academic and other matters.
  3. The College Adviser can:

    • provide pastoral support, for example on health, personal or coping issues, and/or direct to appropriate persons for assistance;

    • monitor progress, by discussing University supervision reports and by being available for consultation, either in person or by email;

    • discuss any problems or difficulties a graduate may be experiencing in their Department or Faculty, and/or with their supervisor;

    • consult the Dean of Graduates/Senior Tutor if there are concerns about academic progress and if a graduate appears to be experiencing difficulties with their academic work;

    • offer guidance on sources of support available within the College and University.

  4. In addition the College Adviser may be able to offer advice on academic-related matters such as: applications for research funding, conferences and seminar attendance, publication and career plans.

  5. The College Adviser is not expected to perform the role of the Department or Faculty Supervisor(s), and is not responsible for directing the graduate’s academic work or for giving detailed academic guidance.

  6. Graduates will first meet their College Adviser during their first term, and are encouraged to contact their College Adviser as and when they need advice or help. (They should also feel free to consult other college officers as necessary.)

  7. The College Adviser may be changed during periods of sabbatical or other academic leave. Should there be reasons to seek a change of Adviser, graduates should contact the Dean of Graduates.

  8. College Advisers would not normally be expected to provide academic references, as others are better placed to do so. They might provide a reference for other purposes, such as Junior Deanship, or a character reference.

  9. The Dean of Graduates and College Advisers have access to the academic progress reports submitted via the Graduate Supervision Reporting. Graduates are invited to attend an annual Graduate Progress Meeting with the Warden, Dean of Graduates and their College Adviser.  The aim of these meetings is to monitor academic performance and, if required, provide advice and guidance. They are also an opportunity for graduates to provide direct feedback. These meetings are compulsory for all students who are on the first year of their current course, and are optional for students on the second or a later year of their current course. Graduates may view and comment on their own reports via the Graduate Supervision Reporting.

  1. Prize scholarships called Postmasterships and Exhibitions may be conferred on undergraduates.
  2. Undergraduates placed in the First Class or who obtain a Distinction in the First Public Examination, or whose work is deemed to merit such acknowledgement, will be awarded a prize scholarship, normally an Exhibition in the first instance.
  3. Subsequent award of a Postmastership may be made in recognition of sustained excellence, but not normally before the Trinity term in the second year of studies.
  4. Postmasterships and Exhibitions may be renewed if undergraduates have worked to a high standard.
  5. Scholarship funds are credited in equal instalments at the end of each term to the recipient’s ‘battels’, the traditional terminology for each junior member’s personal account with the College.
  6. Undergraduates awarded a Postmastership or Exhibition are entitled to wear a Scholar’s gown at such occasions where an academic gown is required.
  7. The Warden and Tutors’ Committee awards prizes in the form of book tokens to undergraduates who have obtained First Class Honours in Final Honour Schools or Honour Moderations, or Distinction in Preliminary Examinations, Law Moderations, or the First BM, or have achieved the standard of Distinction. Prizes may also be awarded for distinguished work in other written examinations, including Collections. A range of subject-specific prizes are also awarded on the basis of academic merit. The College awards book tokens in recognition of University prizes awarded to undergraduates.
  1. Scholarships offered to graduates will vary from year to year and details will be made available on the College website and through the University’s online funding search tool. Many of these are funded or part funded by donations from Mertonians, through the work of the Development Office. Those who receive a scholarship or prize which has been funded in some part by a donor may therefore be asked to write a report on their studies, which will then be forwarded to the donor by the Development Office.
  2. The College may award up to four graduate prize scholarships each of £500 each year on the basis of academic excellence. Prize Scholars may have dinner at High Table once a week, in the academic year coinciding with their appointment, without charge, but they may not invite guests to these meals.
  3. The College may award book tokens to graduates who have achieved a Distinction in the final public examination of a degree and book tokens in recognition of a graduate being awarded a University prize.

The Oxford Bursary and Oxford Fee Reduction schemes

  1. The Oxford Bursary and Oxford Fee Reduction schemes offer non-repayable support to Oxford undergraduates from lower income households, to assist with the cost of attending Oxford. The schemes are funded jointly by the University and the Colleges (in Merton’s case by alumni donations). Together they are among the most generous financial support schemes in the UK. The type and level of support available varies depending on when a student started his or her course. Students from the UK and the EU who started their course in or after 2012 are eligible to be assessed for an Oxford Bursary. Further information is available at

    As the Oxford Bursaries are part-funded by generous donors, bursary recipients may be asked by the Development Office to submit a report on their studies at some point during the year.

Book grants

  1. The College will make a grant of up to £100 p.a. towards the cost of books required for academic work and approved by each junior member’s Tutor or Supervisor. The purchase of e-books, e-readers, electronic materials, DVDs, software and sheet music are also included in the scheme. Claims must be made using the online application form. Grants will be awarded to junior members who are on a year abroad, but not to those whose status is suspended or lapsed.
  2. Photocopies from books and journals will qualify for book grant at the rate of 5p per sheet (or at a higher rate if validated by receipts), provided that the applicant signs a declaration that the photocopies have been legally obtained within the provisions of the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988.

Travel grants

Please note that applications for travel grants will not be supported where the Foreign & Commonwealth Office indicates that the location is unsafe for travel.

  1. The College makes a limited number of grants to undergraduates for the purpose of travel which has an educational benefit. Applications must be made via the Undergraduate Travel Grant application form by the Friday of the 4th Week of the term preceding the proposed travel. A further round of funding happens in the Long Vacation; the deadline will be circulated by the Student Support Administrator. Undergraduate Travel Grants are normally only given once, and not for activities taking place after 8th Week of the final Trinity Term. Clinical Medical students going on medical electives are considered as graduates by the College and therefore should submit an application for a Graduate Research Expenses Grant.
  2. The College makes a limited number of Gerry Grimstone Travel Awards to undergraduate or graduate students to undertake travel, preferably abroad. The grants, of up to £2,000 each, are not intended to fund student holidays, but are instead intended to support worthwhile travel that meets one or more of the following criteria: academic development (but not conferences, archival or laboratory work); social justice and engagement; intellectual or personal development. Priority will be given to applications with an academic component. Students who have already held an award may not apply again. For Final Year students, awards will not be made for activities taking place after 8th Week of the final Trinity term. Details on how to apply are available on the college intranet, and applications must be made by the Friday of the 4th Week of Trinity term.
    The College makes a limited number of Gerry Grimstone Travel Awards to undergraduate or graduate students to undertake travel, preferably abroad. The grants, of up to £2,000 each, are not intended to fund student holidays, but are instead intended to support worthwhile travel that may or may not be related to academic studies. Students who have already held an award may not apply again. Awards will not normally be made for activities taking place after the end of 8th week of the final Trinity Term (undergraduates); after thesis submission (DPhil students); after the date of the final assessment or end of the course, whichever is earlier (all other graduates). Applications must be made via the Gerry Grimstone Travel Awards application form by the Friday of the 4th Week of Trinity term.
  3. Modern linguist undergraduates are eligible to apply to the Student Support Sub-Committee for travel grants to assist with expenses associated with their year abroad, and vacation travel to countries whose languages they are studying. Applications must be made via the Year Abroad & Vacation Travel Grant for Modern Languages Undergraduates application form by the Friday of the 4th Week of Trinity term. It is expected that students will apply for assistance from the Faculty for all applicable awards, scholarships and grants as well as applying to the College, and they must inform the College of any other funds received. If a student finds themselves in unforeseen financial difficulty during the course of their year abroad, it will be possible for them to apply for (additional) College funds. If a student receives financial assistance for their year abroad, this will not make them ineligible to apply for a travel grant which is unrelated to their course.

Graduate research expenses grants

  1. Graduates are offered a set amount of funding for research activities for the duration of their degree course, and are welcome to apply for the grant at any point during their studies. Expenses should not normally be incurred until the application outcome is known. The total sum for which a graduate is eligible is related to the length and type of their degree course, and including any agreed extensions. Graduates may make an application for some (or indeed, all) of their allocation in any term of study, up to and 18 including their final term. If a graduate starts a new course of study, they will be eligible for the allowance pertaining to that course, but will not be entitled to roll over any unspent allowance from the previous course of study. Awards will not normally be made for research activity taking place after thesis submission.
  2. The College will at its discretion pay a supplementary travel grant to any graduate who does not reside in College or private accommodation for approved academic reasons for at least 30 consecutive days in any academic year, but is still required to pay for their accommodation while absent. The grant is payable in addition to any research or other grants that are awarded to the graduate in the academic year. The grant payable to any graduate for this purpose is £300 in any academic year, and if granted will be credited to battels at the end of the academic year to which it relates. To qualify for receipt of grant, the graduate, if living in college accommodation, must first pay the full annual charge. Successful applicants are required to complete arrival and departure cards at the beginning and end of the period of absence, return the keys to the Merton Street Lodge on departure and not return to the accommodation (except in emergency and by prior agreement) at any stage during the period of absence. If the graduate is living in rented accommodation, evidence of payment of rent during the period of absence must be provided.

    Details on how to apply are available on this intranet, and applications should be submitted using the online form by the Friday of the 4th Week of the term preceding the proposed research or by the deadline in the Long Vacation stipulated at the end of Trinity term by the Student Support Administrator.

  3. Historians studying any period since 300 AD who are in residence at Merton and are engaged in an MPhil or DPhil (including PRS) are eligible to apply for the Rajiv Kapur and Dacre Trust Research Awards. One Rajiv Kapur award worth £1,000 will be made in 2020-21 to cover research expenses, which may include travel to visit archives, conference attendance, books, computer software or any other research expenses approved by the College. The award will be made to a particular student only once during his/her time at Merton. Two Dacre Trust awards worth £300 each will be made in 2020-21 to cover research expenses, which may include travel to visit archives, conference attendance, books, computer software or any other research expenses approved by the College. Both the Rajiv Kapur and Dacre Trust awards will be made on merit and the recipients will be decided by a small committee consisting of Merton history tutors and other relevant College representatives. Those wishing to apply for either or both awards should submit a one-page description of how they would use the awards to support their research, counter-signed by their supervisor, to the Academic Registrar by 5:00pm on Wednesday of 8th Week, Hilary term.
  4. The College expects to make a small number of annual grants, in the form of Doctoral Completion Bursaries, to assist graduates in the completion of their theses, particularly if the thesis is likely to be submitted in a reasonably short time. Alternatively, requests for grants towards other major and exceptional expenses may also be considered, if these cannot be reimbursed from regular funding authorities. In assessing requests, the College will take into account the quality of applicants’ work. Priority will be given to applicants who have experienced difficulties or delays beyond what would normally be expected. Some of these bursaries will be awarded from the Simms Bursary Fund, available as a result of a generous donation from the Simms family, several of whom are old members of Merton. An application form should be submitted by the Friday of 4th Week of term, or by the deadline in the Long Vacation stipulated at the end of Trinity term by the Academic Registrar.

Undergraduate research grants

  1. The College is able to refund undergraduates for research expenses for Final Honour School theses, up to the equivalent of the cost of eight out-of-College tutorials. Undergraduates should complete the Undergraduate Research Grant application form with details of all receipts in order to obtain reimbursement through the Academic Office. Research expenses include, for example, the cost of visiting archives or otherwise obtaining research materials. Reimbursement is not made for the cost of binding or copying the thesis itself. There is no deadline, but applications should be made as soon as possible once all expenses have been incurred, and before the end of your final term of study.

Clinical medical students

  1. A refund up to a maximum of £200 towards the cost of items of essential equipment and laundry is made available to clinical medical students (Second BM) during the period of their course. Application forms are available for downloading from this intranet, and claims must be approved by the Supervisor and submitted by Friday of 6th Week Trinity term.

Vacation residence grants for undergraduates

  1. The College may at its discretion make grants to undergraduates for the purpose of vacation study (see section 43). Undergraduates may apply to the Academic Registrar by the Monday of 5th Week of each term for the cost of College accommodation in the following vacation for the taking of examinations or for other academic purposes. Students on courses with three years of residency are permitted to apply for up to 30 days of vacation study grant, and students on courses with four years of residency up to 40 days, over the duration of their degree programme.

Hardship grants

  1. The Student Support Sub-Committee is able to make grants from College funds to assist junior members in unforeseen financial need. There is also a University Hardship Fund to which junior members may apply. Most of the College grants come from donations and bequests to Student Support from Mertonians. Applicants for College hardship funds should contact the Chaplain. Undergraduates and postgraduates who have Home fee status or indefinite leave to remain are also eligible to apply for assistance from the Access to Learning Fund. Application forms should be submitted to the Student Support Administrator who can also provide advice on the application process. Further details are available at

    Merton is committed to supporting the University’s Stand Alone Pledge. Undergraduates without family support can apply for financial assistance from the College and should contact the Student Support Administrator for further information. First degree UK Undergraduates who are estranged from their family or who are care leavers, can also receive support from the University through a care leaver and estranged student bursary. Further details and application forms are available on the University’s Targeted Support page.

Master grants

  1. Limited funds are available to award grants to junior members, undergraduate or graduate, for worthy causes that are ineligible for other forms of College financial support. These funds cannot be used towards the cost of thesis printing or binding. An application form should be submitted by Friday of 4th Week, or by the deadline in the Long Vacation stipulated at the end of Trinity term by the Student Support Administrator. Awards are normally only given once, and will not normally be made for activities taking place after the end of 8th week of the final Trinity Term (undergraduates); after thesis submission (DPhil students); after the date of the final assessment or end of the course, whichever is earlier (all other graduates).

Language courses

  1. Support is available from the College for those undertaking courses at the University’s Language Centre. The College reimburses the full fee for the following courses:
    • Languages for All: General/Intensive/Academic
    • Languages for All: Calligraphy and Character Writing
    • Priority Booking for Languages for All (General/Academic) courses
    • English for Academic Studies
    • Catch Up Brush Up courses (intensive courses in 9th Week)
    • Other courses, such as 'Editing your thesis with Corpora', which may be offered by the Language Centre from time to time.

The College reimburses half of the fees for Fast Track courses.

Students successful in gaining a place on one of these courses should contact the Academic Officer for further details.

Tuition in Analysis for Economics undergraduates

  1. The College offers tutorials in Analysis for any Economics undergraduates wishing to pursue Economics at post-graduate level. Further details are available from the Academic Registrar.

Sports Grants

  1. Funding is available for all College-representative sporting activity through the Amalgamated Clubs (so-called because it represents the joint sporting activities of Merton and Mansfield Colleges).
  2. Grants for sport to individual student members of the College are made for any activity recognised as a sport by Oxford University Sport Federation or by the International Olympic Committee (though not for sports equipment, tuition or coaching). They are intended to enable participation in non-College sporting activities, including membership and facility fees and travel costs. Where the University-Level Sports Fund is not appropriate/applicable, please consider applying under the Master Grant scheme.
  3. Please note that applicants for: Travel Grants, Graduate Research Grants, Supplementary Travel Grants and Master Grants should normally wait for the outcome of their application to the Student Support Sub-Committee before incurring expenses.
  1. In order to fulfil its educational, pastoral and administrative responsibilities, the College collects, stores and otherwise processes personal data about junior members.
  2. Data protection legislation, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation and the UK Data Protection Act 2018, imposes obligations on the College in relation to how the College processes personal data.  In this context, “processing” your data includes various operations that may be carried out, such as collecting, recording, organising, using, disclosing, storing and deleting it.

  3. Data protection law requires the College:

    • to process your data in a lawful, fair and transparent way;

    • to only collect your data for explicit and legitimate purposes;

    • to only collect data that is relevant, and limited to the purpose(s) we have told you about;

    • to ensure that your data is accurate and up to date;

    • to ensure that your data is only kept as long as necessary for the purpose(s) we have told you about; and

    • to ensure that appropriate security measures are used to protect your data

  4. The College has published detailed information in "Privacy Notices" regarding what personal data the College may hold about you, how we use it internally, how we share it, how long we keep it and what your legal rights are in relation to it. The student Privacy Notice can be found on our website at Additional Privacy Notices covering others within the College and visitors to the College (such as alumni and College staff) are also available on the website.

  5. The College has appointed a Data Protection Officer. If junior members have any questions regarding the content of Privacy Notices, or other questions regarding data protection issues, please contact

  1. The College has adopted a code of practice for the regulation of its Junior Common Room (JCR) and Middle Common Room (MCR), in conformity with the Education Act 1994.
  2. The JCR is an association open to all undergraduates of the College.
  3. The MCR is an association open to graduates, and to second BA students and undergraduates who are over 25 years of age or who have been continuously engaged on a course of studies for more than three years since matriculation at the University.
  4. The main objects of the JCR and MCR are to promote the interests and welfare of and social activities among junior members and to represent the interests of members to the Officers of the College.
  5. Membership is free, but participation in social and other activities sponsored by the JCR and MCR may be conditional on payment of a subscription. This subscription will be charged on battels unless specific instruction to the contrary is given by the junior member to the President of the JCR or MCR.
  6. The JCR and MCR have written constitutions, elect officers and hold regular meetings. A copy of the constitutions of the JCR or the MCR may be inspected on their respective websites.
  7. The constitutions of the JCR and MCR contain detailed arrangements for the conduct of elections, the conduct of officers, financial management and reporting, the funding of groups and clubs, affiliation to external organisations including the Oxford University Students Union, and the handling of complaints. The implementation of these arrangements is supervised on behalf of the Governing Body of the College by the Senior Treasurer of the JCR and Dean of Graduates respectively.
  8. Membership of the JCR and/or MCR is automatically granted to junior members as appropriate. Anyone who does not wish to take up membership should notify the Secretary of the JCR or MCR not later than the end of the Second Week of Michaelmas term. Withdrawal from membership will disqualify junior members from standing for office, voting at or attending meetings of the JCR or MCR.
  9. The College provides social, recreational and welfare facilities for all junior members, whether or not they are members of the JCR or MCR. These facilities include the premises in the Merton Street precinct called the Junior Common Room and Middle Common Room [Use of the Middle Common Room is restricted to graduates, and to second BA students and undergraduates who are over 25 years of age or who have been continuously engaged on a course of studies for more than three years since matriculation at the University.], the Bar, and the Games Room, and also the Pavilion and communal laundry, and other facilities. [Use of the Middle Common Room is restricted to graduates, and to second BA students and undergraduates who are over 25 years of age or who have been continuously engaged on a course of studies for more than three years since matriculation at the University.]
  10. Complaints about the management of the JCR or MCR should be made in accordance with the complaints procedures of the JCR and MCR, which can be found in their respective Standing Orders. This includes the possibility of referring an unsatisfied complaint to the Senior Treasurer of the Junior Common Room or to the Dean of Graduates.
  11. Persons who are doing research in Oxford at a senior level but who are not reading for Oxford degrees and are not members of another College, Hall or Society of the University and persons who are reading for postgraduate degrees of other universities who are visiting Oxford for a short period to work with a Fellow of the College shall be eligible for selection as Associates of the Middle Common Room in Category A. Persons who have been Junior Members of the College within the preceding five years and are engaged in a programme of study at any university and are resident in Oxford and persons who are the domestic partners resident in Oxford of members of the Middle Common Room who are also resident in Oxford are eligible for selection as Associates of the Middle Common Room in Category B. An Associate in Category B may be reading for a degree of the University and may be a member of another College, Hall or Society of the University.
  12. Any Fellow or Officer of the MCR may nominate a person who is not a junior member as an Associate of the MCR, but a person who is being considered for selection in Category A must be sponsored by a Fellow who has knowledge of the proposed Associate’s academic background. The Dean of Graduates and the President of the Middle Common Room shall review the nominations and shall agree on those to be selected as Associates. In making their selection they shall seek the advice of the Graduate Officer and the Treasurer of the Middle Common Room. The details of the privileges enjoyed by Associates of the MCR are set out in Bylaw V.11(d).
  1. An induction session by the College welfare team will be arranged for all new junior members at the start of the academic year.
  2. Any personal problem, including any problem of an academic, financial, emotional and medical nature, can be raised as a welfare concern in the first instance. Junior members are encouraged to discuss welfare concerns with any member of the College welfare team: the Chaplain, the College Nurse, the Welfare Adviser, or the Junior Deans for Welfare. The JCR and MCR elect a number of welfare representatives who also provide support to junior members.
  3. In addition, welfare concerns may be addressed directly to a Tutor or the Senior Tutor in the case of undergraduates, or to a College Adviser or the Dean of Graduates in the case of graduates.
  4. Concerns about harassment may be discussed with special College advisers. (see part 36)
  5. In urgent cases, College officers will endeavour to see junior members immediately or as soon as possible. For urgent welfare support, ring the welfare mobile: 07762 906913. A call forwarding system will connect the call to a member of the welfare team or other College officer on duty.
  6. The College adheres to the statutory principles of privacy and respect for confidentiality, most recently defined in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the Data Protection Act 1998. Accordingly, information given in confidence by a junior member to an adviser will not generally be disclosed to others. [The term ‘adviser’ is used here to denote anyone whom a student consults for welfare advice in an official capacity, from the Peer Supporters and JCR/MCR Welfare Representatives to the College Junior Deans for Welfare, Welfare Adviser, Tutors, the Chaplain, the Warden and other College officers. Medical practitioners, clergy and counsellors including those at the University Counselling Service also have their own professional guidelines.]
  7. The College’s duty of care for the welfare of junior members may make it necessary in certain circumstances for confidential information to be disclosed, but only to officers who need to know such information in order to exercise that care. Advisers will use their professional discretion to assess what information needs to be shared, and with whom.
  8. At the outset of any consultation by a junior member, an adviser will normally explain these principles (see 12.6 and 12.7) and, if relevant, attempt to establish the extent of the confidentiality necessary in the particular case.
  9. Whenever possible, consent to disclose any necessary information to other officers will be sought from a junior member. The adviser will explain why others may need to know, or why it would be helpful for other advisers to be informed and for advisers to discuss the matter; and that such third parties will also be bound by the same principles.
  10. If consent is not given, the adviser will explain that, in certain circumstances, some disclosure and consequent action may be necessary because of the duty to protect the junior member or others from harm. Examples include circumstances where this or another junior member carries a serious infectious medical condition, is thought to be at risk of self-harm, has a tendency to violence, or may have committed a sexual assault.
  11. In matters relating to the misuse of drugs and other banned substances, the Chaplain and College Nurse are happy to talk in confidence to any junior member. Disclosure will only be made in accordance with the exceptions outlined in paragraph 12.10. Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed if information concerning the misuse of drugs is disclosed to any other person.
  12. Only in rare circumstances will families or nominated persons be contacted without the consent of a junior member, who would normally be informed that such contact had been made.
  13. In cases of uncertainty as to whether information should be passed on, or where advisers wish to consult others without betraying confidence, they may do so by outlining the general circumstances of a case anonymously to another adviser or officer.
  14. All parties must also respect privacy, including communication by email and in dealings with the press.
  15. Junior members, especially those living out, have a responsibility to inform the College of changes in their circumstances likely to have a substantial effect on their ability to work or welfare.
  16. College advisers may refer junior members to the University’s Student Counselling Service where appropriate. Alternatively, junior members may contact the Student Counselling Service directly. If a student wishes to see a BAME counsellor, this can be requested. Further details are published on the University website at
  17. In cases where a junior member’s ability to study is affected by health or disability the College will consider, in appropriate consultation with the relevant University authorities, what reasonable adjustments, short of suspension, might be made to enable the student to continue to benefit from the course.
  18. Undergraduates do not have an automatic right to suspend study, though the College will consider sympathetically requests on medical or other welfare grounds and make reasonable adjustments (including with regard to these procedures) in cases covered by the Equality Act 2010. The College’s procedures on Suspension are set out in line with Bylaw XI D in Appendix 6.
  19. The University has established a common framework across departments/faculties and colleges for cases where questions arise as to whether a student is fit to study, or to return to study after a period of leave on account of medical, psychological, or emotional problems. Most such cases are dealt with under the College’s own procedures, set out in line with Bylaw XI D in Appendix 6, but there is also an overarching Fitness to Study Panel to which serious and difficult fitness to study cases can be referred if all other normal procedures at college or university level have been exhausted or are inappropriate. Further information is available in the University of Oxford Student Handbook.
  20. The College has adopted a Student Maternity and Paternity Leave Policy, details of which may be obtained from the Senior Tutor.
  1. An induction session by the College Doctors and College Nurse is arranged for all new junior members at the start of the academic year.
  2. The College Nurse attends in the Surgery, Grove 1.2, from 9:30am to 3:00pm, Mondays to Thursdays and 9:30am to 12:30pm on Fridays from 0th to 9th Week of term. During working hours she can be contacted by telephone on 01865 (2)76320 or email at
  3. The College Nurse is also available to counsel individuals, and the College has a direct link with the University Counselling Service.
  4. The College Doctor, Dr Laurence Leaver, and his partners Dr Mark O’Shea and Dr Joanna Lambert have their surgery at the Jericho Health Centre, New Radcliffe House, Walton Street, Oxford, OX2 6NW. Surgery hours are 8:30am to 6:00pm Monday to Friday and pre-bookable appointments on Thursday evenings from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. Appointments should normally be made by telephone, 01865 311234. Please note that the Jericho Health Centre will accept email requests for repeat prescriptions (, alongside requests made in person.
  5. One of the College GPs is also usually available for consultation in the Grove surgery on Wednesdays from 11:00am to 12:30pm, from 1st to 8th Week of term. Appointments must be made through the Jericho Health Centre (01865 311234) or College Nurse. Merton students are also able to access the College Surgery at Oriel College on Thursdays from 11:30am to 12:30pm. Please check that the surgery details have not changed when making the appointment.
  6. There is also a service called 7DAS (seven day access) which operates across the City every weekday evening and Saturday and Sunday mornings offering GP, Nurse, Phlebotomy and Physio appointments. Appointments are pre-bookable through the Jericho Health Centre (01865 311234) reception.
  7. Junior members from overseas who will be resident in the UK for a period in excess of six months are entitled to be treated under the National Health Service, and must register with a GP on arrival in the UK. However, the National Health Service may decline to treat any medical condition contracted before arrival in Oxford, so those who have such a pre-existing condition are strongly advised to ensure they have sufficient private health insurance. Junior members from overseas who will not be resident in the UK for over six months must ensure that they have fully comprehensive medical insurance (covering full repatriation).
  8. Oxford Brookes has set up a dental practice based on Headington Hill Campus which is open to Oxford University students, called Studental. Emergency treatment and extended work are available to both graduates and undergraduates. Students can also register for the services of Bupa Dental Care Oxford, which is located on Beaumont Street.
  9. Information on dental costs can be found at Students eligible for NHS treatment are reminded to complete an HCI form for help with dental costs. Further details are available at
  1. All queries concerning disability issues should be addressed, in the first instance, to the College’s Disability Coordinator, who is the Academic Registrar. The Chaplain, as Disability Lead, oversees the College’s provision.
  2. The College is committed to providing equality of opportunity for junior members with disabilities.
  3. Disabilities can include conditions such as dyslexia and mental health problems as well as mobility or sensory impairments.
  4. In a practical way, the College helps with general welfare support, access relating to the facilities which it provides, including accommodation and dietary needs, arrangements relating to the Library and its resources, and official requests for alternative examination arrangements.
  5. The College works in partnership with Departments and Faculties, the University Disability Advisory Service (see and with individual junior members themselves.
  6. Junior members are responsible for explaining their needs, applying for funding, using any support provided appropriately and communicating any changes in their circumstances.
  7. It is not obligatory to disclose a disability but early disclosure will help the College to make the adjustments necessary to help junior members with disabilities to study effectively.
  8. If disclosure is not made at the time of application, it may not be possible for the College to make accommodation arrangements in response to individual circumstances. The College may require independent verification of the particular requirements claimed.
  9. In cases where a disability was declared through the application process both the College and University will contact junior members before they come into residence. Junior members with a disability who have not been contacted should notify the Academic Registrar.
  10. Small additional funds are available to support students with disabilities. This has been made possible through the generosity of an alumnus. The College may assist financially with disability-related expenses incurred where other sources of funding have been exhausted.
  11. Merton is aware of its obligations to extend accessibility for people with disabilities. We should be very pleased to receive comments and suggestions. Those of a non-academic nature should be directed to the Domestic Bursar while those bearing on academic matters should be directed to the Senior Tutor.
  1. Chapel services follow the rites of the Church of England, but all members of the College and their guests are welcome to attend.
  2. The main Sunday service, alternately Evensong and College Eucharist, is at 5:45pm, and is followed by drinks in the antechapel.
  3. There is also a Sunday morning service at 9:00am followed by breakfast and daily services during Full Term.
  4. Full details of services can be found on the termly Chapel card and Chapel services booklet, College website and on the Chapel notice board in the Lodge.
  5. The Chaplain is happy to speak in confidence with any member of the College regardless of religious affiliation (or none) concerning any matter.
  6. As well as being responsible for the Chapel, the Chaplain also co-ordinates the various College welfare bodies and convenes the Student Support Sub-Committee. He is generally available to members of the College on weekdays (except Fridays) and at weekends during Full Term.
  7. The Associate Chaplain assists the Chaplain in the day-to-day running of the Chapel and has particular responsibility for the pastoral care of the Chapel community.
  1. The College owns a stock of accommodation for use by junior members. Accommodation for undergraduates (excluding second BA students) is located in Merton Street and Holywell Street and accommodation for graduates (and second BA students) is located in Holywell Street, Mansfield Road, Manor Place and St Cross Road. Accommodation for couples is provided in Iffley Road.
  2. The college provides up to 288 rooms for undergraduate accommodation, which consists of 200 standard rooms with shared bathrooms and 88 en suite bedrooms, including one room, which is fully adapted for wheelchair use. Up to 156 rooms are provided for graduate accommodation, which comprises 64 standard rooms with shared bathrooms and 92 en suite rooms, including one room, which is fully adapted for wheelchair use. Single accommodation usually comprises a bed-sitting room. The College also offers, for couples, eight one-bedroom flats.

    There are communal kitchens in all properties in Holywell Street and Manor Place, Mansfield Road and St Cross Road. There are communal kitchens in the Junior and Middle Common Rooms, otherwise in the Merton Street precinct there is only limited communal kitchen provision in 21 Merton Street, Rose Lane North Lodge, and in Rose Lane 5. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available in Hall at the times specified in section 20.

  3. Couples' accommodation is self-contained and comprises living room, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen.

Fixtures, furniture and furnishings

  1. All accommodation is provided with lighting and heating, and is furnished with carpets, curtains/blinds, bed, desk, desk chair, shelving, wardrobe or clothes hanging space and waste disposal and recycling bin (some accommodations have additional items of furniture).
  2. The College does not supply sheets, pillows, pillow-cases, duvets, towels, crockery, cutlery, glassware, electric kettles, and bed-side or desk lamps except where there are special requirements e.g. in the case of disability.
  3. Junior members returning to College in the following year who wish to leave fridges at their own risk over the Long Vacation must contact the current occupant of the room to which they will be moving for permission to store their fridge there by the end of Trinity term. Fridges must be labelled with name and the room number for the new academic year. The College will dispose of unmarked fridges.


  1. Single accommodation includes provision of cleaning and ancillary services. College staff will endeavour to:
    1. Empty waste bins every weekday, except for those for kitchen food waste (which are the responsibility of the resident students);
    2. Clean, dust or polish furniture once each week;
    3. Vacuum carpets once each week; and
    4. Clean sinks, baths and showers in rooms once each week, all in accordance with cleaning schedules that are published on notice boards.

Priority will be given to cleaning communal bath and shower rooms and kitchens to maintain standards of communal hygiene. It may not be possible to maintain levels of service during periods of staff absence or where staff have only limited access, or are unable to gain access to rooms. Access to rooms must be given on designated cleaning days.

  1. Cleaning services are not provided by the College to residents in couples' accommodation.
  2. All accommodation offered to junior members is covered by the University wireless network data services; cabled Ethernet connections are considered on request and a practical or academic justification will usually be required. The exception to these data arrangements are residential properties that are let from time to time on a shorthold tenancy basis, which may have different facilities. Wireless and Ethernet use are free of charge. The College does not provide computer equipment for personal use.
  3. Card-operated laundry facilities are located in the basements of St Alban's Quadrangle, Staircase 3, 2 Holywell Street; and on the ground floor of Rose Lane 5. Laundry Cards are available from the machine located in the students’ post room. Cards cost £2 and you will then need to top them up using the online system provided via the laundry provider – Circuit. Website and contact details are provided in each Laundry area together with the process required.
  4. The College will endeavour to rectify minor failures in lighting or heating services within one working day of notification, and minor leaks to tap and shower heads within five working days of notification.

    If you encounter any issues or problems during your time at Merton, these can be reported using the Service Desk via the intranet. There are currently five categories of reporting:

    • IT Support;
    • Health & Fire Safety;
    • Housekeeping;
    • Maintenance; and
    • Lodge & Security

You can access the Service Desk at Simply fill out a short form giving brief details of the problem, and click/tap submit - you will then receive an email with a ticket number for reference, and the team responsible will contact you to help resolve the issue. You can even submit a picture or screenshot to help you explain the problem.

  1. In the event of emergencies or major defects, including flooding, failure of electrical supplies, risk of electrocution and serious structural damage, the College will arrange if possible to move junior members immediately to alternative accommodation while the situation is remedied.
  2. Complaints about defects in accommodation and services should be referred to the Head of Conference and Accommodation in the first instance and thereafter if required to the Domestic Bursar. Complaints about data network services should be referred to the IT Office in the first instance (
  3. Any complaint that is not resolved to the satisfaction of a junior member within a reasonable time frame may be referred to the Warden as a formal complaint, in line with the College’s Complaints and Appeals Procedure (see appendix 8).

Allocation of accommodation

  1. Undergraduates (excluding second BA students) are normally offered single accommodation in Merton Street precinct in their first year of studies. In subsequent years of study accommodation is allocated by ballot organised by the JCR. Students who have specific accommodation requirements on medical, disability, religious, or other grounds are given an opportunity to apply for special consideration rather than enter the ballot. The Chaplain, Disability Coordinator, and Senior Tutor assess each of these applications.
  2. Graduates (including second BA students) are normally offered single accommodation in Holywell Street precinct or in Manor Place in their first year of study. In subsequent years of study accommodation is allocated by ballot organised by the MCR. Those who commence their first year of study later than Michaelmas term are included in the ballot. Students who have specific accommodation requirements on medical, disability, religious, or other grounds are given an opportunity to apply for special consideration rather than enter the ballot. The Chaplain, Disability Coordinator, and Senior Tutor assess each of these applications.
  3. It is College policy to offer single accommodation to all undergraduates so far as possible for the normal duration of their studies, that is for two, three or four years. Second BA students are normally accommodated for the duration of their degree.
  4. In exceptional circumstances it may not be possible to provide College accommodation to all undergraduates, for example in the event of damage to College buildings through fire, flood or other emergency.
  5. It may not be possible to provide College accommodation to undergraduates returning after a period of deferral, interruption or suspension of studies on grounds of ill-health or any other grounds.
  6. The College is normally able to offer single accommodation to graduates for two years of study, but, in view of the variable length of graduate courses and variable size of the College’s graduate population, it is not possible to give a specific undertaking to do so. In particular, it may not be possible to offer accommodation for the first year of graduate study, especially in case of late application.
  7. The College will use its best endeavours to accommodate new graduates who are required by their faculty or department to come into residence before the start of the academic year. However, the College’s ability to offer accommodation is dependent upon the early, voluntary departure of graduates who are already on course, and it may be necessary to make temporary arrangements in these circumstances
  8. In allocating couples' accommodation, the College will give precedence to couples moving to Oxford from other locations. The College does not undertake to provide couples' accommodation for longer than one year and reserves the right to allocate accommodation by ballot if demand exceeds supply.
  9. The College is not able to offer accommodation to families with children.
  10. Graduates who live out (i.e. not in College accommodation) are required to advise the Graduate Officer of their Oxford term-time address and contact telephone number.

Accommodation agreement

  1. Occupancy of College single accommodation by junior members is governed by the agreement published in this Handbook together with all other regulations and undertakings concerning the provision and use of accommodation that are contained in this College Handbook.
    Junior members may have one overnight guest in their rooms at a time, on the condition that this does not disturb their neighbours or have an unreasonable impact on their neighbours’ use of shared facilities, such as bathrooms and kitchens. In any 14-day period, junior members are allowed an overnight guest on no more than three nights.
    It is not permitted that a junior member has a permanent or semi-permanent live-in guest. For reasons of fire safety, the guest has to be booked in at one of the Lodges, or using the online booking system, on each occasion and the junior member is responsible for the guest at all times.
    The College intends that all residents should enjoy occupancy of accommodation with as little disruption or disturbance as possible. The agreement and all other regulations relating to accommodation are intended to reflect the interests of all parties and to reflect the fact that the College is a mixed-use amenity as well as a residential community.
  2. Occupancy of College couples' accommodation by junior members is governed by separate agreement that will be provided via the Estates Bursary.

Guest room

  1. A JCR Guest Room is available for use by overnight guests of junior members, one or two persons aged 16 or over only, for a maximum of three consecutive nights per stay. In the interests of fairness to all, junior members are not permitted to make consecutive guest bookings. It is twin-bedded, and can be booked online via the Merton Street Lodge. A charge is payable in advance. You are required to give 48 hours notice of cancellation or no refund will be given. Your University card must be valid when the room is occupied.

Power and water supplies

All College electrical equipment will have at least a visual inspection before it is used. Routine inspection and preventative maintenance are essential if accidents are to be avoided.

  1. In relation to portable electrical appliances, guidance contained in HSE Guidance Note PM32 “The Safe Use of Portable Electrical Appliances” will be followed. A copy will be kept in the Health and Safety file.
  2. Members of the College who wish to use in their rooms any mains-operated electric appliances, other than those furnished by the College, should have these appliances correctly wired to an undamaged plug of the safety-sleeve type and carrying BS number 1363, the cable secured in the cable clamp and a fuse of the correct rating fitted. Every appliance must carry the appropriate British Standard number or Kitemark, and flexible cables must be in good condition and not worn, perished, split, stretched or twisted. Any electrical appliances to be used on the College site must be compatible with British 69 power sockets and voltage levels (240v). Any adapters, if not new, should be tested to ensure they are not faulty.
  3. All portable electrical appliances that are supplied by the College for use of College members or College staff are subject to at least one safety check by a qualified electrician each year.
  4. From Michaelmas Term 2020 all portable electrical appliances owned by students and used in College buildings will be tested once a year by a qualified electrician.
  5. Appliances failing a safety check will not be allowed in College rooms. Any electrical appliance that appears to pose a safety risk will be isolated by College staff and/or electrical contractors and withdrawn from use at any time, whether it is supplied by the College or otherwise.
  6. Any item deemed unsafe that is owned by a student, will be removed from the room and stored by the College. The student will be notified in writing that the particular item has been removed from their room due to safety reasons and given the choice of it being disposed of or returned to them when they leave their accommodation at the end of the current term.
  7. It is an offence to interfere with electrical fittings, to connect appliances to a lighting circuit or connect multi-way adapters or extension cables to a socket outlet. Alterations or attachments may be made to the electric circuits or fittings only by the College electrician.
  8. The College will install residual current devices or miniature circuit breakers where possible to power supplies to College premises.
  9. Safety checks on domestic water supplies and equipment are scheduled and carried out by a qualified engineer with all results recorded.
  10. Ambient temperatures in residential accommodation are controlled by residents. All space heating is fitted with thermostatic controls and/or timers.
  11. The College will endeavour to maintain water temperatures at levels required to prevent legionella infection.

Quadrangles and pathways

  1. Most College quadrangles are stone paved and are kept clean and regularly sprayed with fungicide.
  2. In the event of snow or icy conditions, or obstruction by leaf fall, the College will endeavour to grit or clear paved areas on the same day where possible or otherwise by the next working day.

Environmental policy

  1. The College adheres where possible to the University’s Environmental Sustainability Policy. In 2019 the College achieved the bronze level Green Impact award.
  2. The College participates in schemes to recycle waste materials, primarily glass, metals and paper and card products. The College endeavours to reduce waste and minimise purchases of environmentally harmful products and participates in schemes for their collection and safe disposal.
  3. Where possible the College purchases energy-efficient supplies and installs energy-efficient equipment, including low-energy fluorescent light fittings, daylight sensors, induction hobs, and energy-efficient refrigerators, washing machines, photocopiers and computer equipment.
  4. The College participates in an energy purchasing group which negotiates on behalf of the University and colleges and which endeavours to procure carbon emission-free electricity on favourable terms.
  5. Recent College building work has been carried out to high standards in terms of thermal conductivity and heat recovery. Given the variegated and dispersed nature of the College’s estate, and the antiquity of many of its buildings, it is difficult to install and manage environmental control systems. It is also necessary to maintain ambient temperatures to preserve the fabric, water temperatures to take account of legionella infection, and lighting to illuminate fire exits.
  6. Junior members are encouraged to assist the College with the reduction in wasteful use of energy, water and supplies and to participate in recycling schemes, which are also supported and in some cases organised by the JCR and MCR Committees. The College is included in the provisions of the law covering the Carbon Reduction Commitment. Every member of College has a part to play in reducing energy consumption and therefore our carbon output, on an ongoing basis, as the targets and penalties increase on an annual basis. Simple measures are all important, so switching off all heating and electrical appliances including computers and lighting when not required will help reduce our carbon output.

Bicycles and cars

  1. Junior members who keep a bicycle in Oxford are strongly advised to acquaint themselves with the Highway Code and to exercise due care on the City’s busy and crowded streets.
  2. The College accepts no responsibility for damage to or loss of bicycles and junior members are advised not to bring expensive bicycles to Oxford. All junior members are required to join the University of Oxford Cycle Registration Scheme (further details and packs are available from the Porters’ Lodge.)
  3. Bicycles may be kept in the bicycle stores in the Old Warden’s Lodgings Yard or at North Lodge, Rose Lane and in the basement of Holywell Buildings. Bicycles may not be kept in student rooms or in communal areas of the College, including residences in Holywell Street, Manor Road, and Manor Place, except bicycle stores. No bicycles shall be left near or against College buildings on the south side of Merton Street as this creates difficulties for wheelchair and pushchair users.
  4. Junior members are discouraged from bringing motor cars and motor cycles into Oxford because of tight traffic restrictions, the scarcity of parking places and the incidence of car crime.
  5. The College accepts no responsibility for damage to or loss of cars.
  6. If it is strictly necessary for a junior member to keep a car in Oxford, there are a limited number of parking spaces at the Sports Pavilion. The following charges apply to all junior members:
    1. 1-4 days: free with a refundable deposit of £10 cash only for return of the access fob.
    2. 5-7 days: £11.25 payable by cash (or card to the bursary) with an additional refundable deposit of £10 for return of the access fob.
    3. 8-14 days: £22.50 payable by cash (or card to the bursary) with an additional refundable deposit of £10 for return of the access fob.
    4. 8-week Term: £90 payable to the bursary with an additional refundable deposit of £10 for return of the access fob.
    5. 8-week Term plus following Vacation period: £120 payable to the bursary with an additional refundable deposit of £10 for return of the access fob.
    Termly and Term plus following Vacation parking has a rolling contract for which junior members will continue to be charged each term unless the lodge or bursary are duly notified. All junior member applications for car parking should be made to the Porter's Lodge.
  1. The Merton Street Lodge and Holywell Lodge main gates are locked by 11:00pm. Junior members are provided with electronic fob access through the late gates at other times.
  2. Close circuit television (CCTV) surveillance is installed on College premises to deter and detect crime and disorder. CCTV data is subject to Data Protection procedures and legislation. Details regarding the College’s use of CCTV and its treatment of personal data collected via CCTV, are published in the College Security and CCTV Privacy Notice, located on our website at
  3. Junior members are provided with room keys/electronic fobs and house or staircase keys. Entryphone systems are installed in staircases and houses, except in Manor Place, and on staircases I, II and III in Front Quad and I in St Alban's Quad which do not have staircase doors.
  4. Undergraduate accommodation keys/electronic fobs for Merton Street and Precinct rooms are issued from the Merton Street Lodge. Undergraduate accommodation keys/electronic fobs for Holywell Street rooms and keys/electronic fobs for Graduate accommodation are issued from the Holywell Lodge. All other keys/electronic fobs are issued from the Merton Street Lodge.
  5. Room keys/electronic fobs are issued to residents only and will not be issued to any other persons apart from College staff or contractors for the purposes of carrying out necessary cleaning, security and maintenance duties.
    All junior members must: Junior members will be fined in accordance with Appendix 1 Tariff of Possible Fines if incomplete or damaged sets of keys are returned.
    1. Not loan any room keys/electronic fobs to any other person including college members;
    2. Not swap any room keys/electronic fobs with other college members without authority from the Accommodation Manager and in their absence the Head Porter;
    3. Not tamper with any room keys/electronic fobs or remove the tags;
    4. Return complete and undamaged sets of keys/electronic fobs to the lodge on departure.
  6. Cleaning rosters will be publicised on notice boards in staircases and houses. Maintenance staff will so far as possible give one day’s notice if they need to visit any room. Cleaning staff may enter rooms to carry out their duties when residents are absent and maintenance and security staff may do so if necessary. Staff will keep a record of any unscheduled visits to unoccupied rooms.
  7. Junior members will be issued with electronic keys that will provide access to late gates, libraries, laundries, common rooms and other communal areas. All junior members must:
    1. Not Loan any room keys/electronic fobs to any other person including college members;
    2. Not swap any room keys/electronic fobs with other college members without authority from the Accommodation Manager and in their absence the Head Porter;
    3. Not tamper with any room keys/electronic fobs or remove the tags;
    4. Return complete and undamaged sets of keys/electronic fobs to the lodge on departure.
    Junior members will be fined in accordance with Appendix 1 Tariff of Possible Fines if incomplete or damaged sets of keys are returned.
  8. Junior members who have lost or mislaid keys/electronic fobs and are unable to gain access to the College should telephone the Merton Street Lodge on 01865 276310 or 07880 600921. Junior Members have 24 hours from the time the spare keys/electronic fobs are issued to return the spare key or fob to the main Lodge. If that key or fob has not been returned to the main Lodge in that time the junior member in question should email the Head Porter as to the circumstances of the loss. If the Head Porter has not received an email, the Head Porter will email the junior member asking for the circumstances of the loss. If no response is received after a further 24 hours from the time of the Head Porter’s email, that person will be fined in accordance with Appendix 1 Tariff of Possible Fines.
  9. The main College site in Merton Street is open to the public and University members Monday to Friday 2:00pm-5:00pm (last entry 4:30pm) & Weekends 10:00am-5:00pm (last entry 4:30pm) except during the Christmas vacation and other set dates for key events (see updates on college website). It is a condition of the College’s premises licence that children under the age of 16 must be supervised by a responsible adult at all times when on College premises.
  10. Public access is normally restricted to Front Quad, Fellows Quad, St Alban's Quad, Mob Quad and the Chapel. Guided tours of the Upper Library are available from time to time. Junior members wishing to visit the Upper Library with guests during term time should contact the Librarian. Individual visits may depend upon the availability of library staff. Other College premises, gardens and grounds may be open to the public on special open days.
  11. Junior members are advised that they should lock doors and shut windows to their rooms whenever they leave them and that they should not leave valuables unattended in public places, for example, in the Hall, Common Rooms, Library, seminar rooms or in the College Sports Pavilion and Boathouse.
  12. Guests of junior members are permitted to enter College up to 10:30pm or later if accompanied by a member of the College. Junior members should be responsible for escorting their guests out of the College when the main gates are closed. Guests of junior members are not permitted into the college libraries or student post room.


  1. The College insures against loss and damage to property of residents caused by fire, lightning and explosion, subject to a limit of £500 per person and an excess of £50 per claim. It is the responsibility of junior members to insure their own belongings against other accidental damage, loss and theft. The Student Support Committee is unable to assist junior members who failed to take out personal property insurance.
  2. Junior members who leave belongings in their rooms or elsewhere on College premises at any time do so at their own risk.

Personal accident

  1. College insurances do not cover any personal accident suffered by junior members. Junior members may wish to insure themselves against personal accident, especially if they engage in activities of a hazardous nature, which may include sports activities (see paragraphs 18.6-18.9).

Public and products liability

  1. The College is insured against liabilities to third parties in respect of accidental bodily injury, loss or damage that may arise in connection with the business of the College from the actions of junior members in the United Kingdom. These insurances do not apply with respect to activities that are not connected with the business of the College or that are of a hazardous nature, and public liability coverage is not available with respect to acts of terrorism other than through the Government scheme.
  2. Junior members who are authorised to be engaged on College business in a voluntary capacity are deemed to have the status of employees for this purpose.

Sports and cultural activities

  1. The College’s public liability insurances provide indemnities against legal liabilities that the College may owe to participants in sports and cultural activities, spectators and others on College premises.
  2. College insurances do not necessarily apply to other premises, or travelling to and from other premises, or in respect especially hazardous kinds of activity, and do not apply at all outside Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Special insurance arrangements must be arranged or confirmed by organisers and team leaders for away fixtures and especially hazardous kinds of activity.
  3. As noted in paragraph 18.3, College insurances do not cover any personal accident suffered by junior members, nor do they apply to purely accidental injuries or injuries arising from careless, reckless or aggressive behaviour. Junior members should consider obtaining personal insurance against such contingencies, especially if they are active and frequent participants in sports.
  4. Although accidental injury is an ‘occupational hazard’ for any person participating in sport, junior members have a duty of care under common law to other participants and may be held personally responsible for inflicting injury upon them. Junior members must be familiar with the regulations and procedures governing sports in which they participate, and abide by the decisions and directions of referees, umpires and College officials responsible for their regulation.
  5. Junior members who are awarded College grants to enable travel (for academic or non- academic purposes) must obtain travel insurance applicable to the planned activity and destination. The insurance must cover contingencies such as medical expenses, trip cancellation or delays, and lost or stolen baggage. Please refer to the details of the travel insurance provided by the University.

Libraries (see also section 39)

  1. The main College Library is in the Old Warden’s Lodgings (OWL) in Merton Street and houses collections relating to the majority of subjects taught at Merton. There are additional open-access collections and study spaces in the Lower Library in Mob Quad. The Library aims to provide a selection of essential reading list books for undergraduate and some postgraduate areas of study. All members of the college are welcome to use the library collections and study space, and to suggest books for purchase using the online form. Multi-function printers are located on the ground floor of Old Warden’s Lodgings and in the computer room of the Lower Library in Mob Quad. Visits to the medieval Upper Library and research consultation of items from historic and special collections may be arranged by appointment with the Librarian. Further information is available in the Library section.
  2. Opening hours for College Libraries during term are as follows:
    • Old Warden’s Lodgings
      • 7:30am–2:00am
      • Information desk/library office: Monday–Friday 9:00am–12:00 noon and 1:00pm–5:00pm
    • Lower Library Mob Quad
      • 7:30am–2:00am

Vacation hours are posted at the end of each term.

Computer rooms (see also section 40)

  1. Communal computer rooms for use by junior members are on the ground floor of Old Warden’s Lodgings, in the Lower Library in Mob Quad and in the basement of Block A Holywell Buildings.
  2. The Mob Quad computer room is accessible during Library hours. Other computer rooms are accessible at all times.

Sports Ground, Pavilion and Boathouse (see also section 47)

  1. The Sports Ground and Pavilion are located at Manor Road. The Boathouse is in Christ Church Meadow.
  2. Pitches at the Sports Ground are laid out for football, rugby, cricket, hockey and other team sports and there is a hard paved tennis court.
  3. The Pavilion contains 2 squash courts, rowing ergometer room and changing areas.
  4. The Pavilion also contains a bar and social area which is used for JCR and other activities.
  5. Use of sports facilities is administered by the Amalgamated Clubs and the Boat Club. Claims for essential costs incurred by College sports teams may be submitted once a term to the Amalgamated Clubs, using the application form.
  6. The Pavilion is normally open between 9:00am and 10:00pm during term and by arrangement with the Groundsman during vacation periods. The squash courts are accessible by key. Keys are available from the Finance Bursary and a deposit of £10 is required.
  7. Students may use Merton College punts and kayaks on the river, according to a booking system managed by the JCR. Room keys will be taken as deposit. Returning a boat late inconveniences other users. Returning a boat after the closure of the Boathouse disturbs those living in the vicinity and risks access to the river for all Merton students. Those returning boats late may be fined in line with the standard tariffs laid out in Appendix 1.
  8. An air-conditioned Fitness Room is available to all Junior Members. It is located in Rose Lane and has both cardio-vascular and resistance equipment. The fitness room is open from 7:00am until 10:00pm. On completion of an induction (available at the start of each term), a gym card will be issued to all Junior Members at the Merton Street Lodge once a disclaimer has been signed. The issue of the first gym card to all Junior Members is free; the card must be returned at the completion of their studies. Replacement gym cards are charged at £5 per card. Appropriate clothing and shoes must be worn at all times when using the facilities. Junior Members’ guests including other University members are not permitted to use the facilities. Rules for the use of the Fitness Room are on display and must be followed at all times. Further details are available from the JCR Sports Rep.
  9. The Student Support Sub-Committee welcomes applications for Master Grants to enable participation in non-College sporting activities, including membership and facility fees and travel costs. An application form should be submitted by Friday of 4th Week, or by the deadline in the Long Vacation stipulated at the end of Trinity term by the Academic Registrar. Awards are only given once, and, in the case of final year students, not for activities taking place after 8th Week of the final Trinity term. (see section 9)


  1. Students at Merton have access to three Ensemble Rooms and two Music Rooms in staircase 4 of St Alban’s Quad. These practice rooms were refurbished in early 2017 and all five rooms include a Yamaha B2 piano. Whilst these rooms are available on a first-come-first-served basis, they can be booked in advance if you need to rehearse in a particular room. First study pianists (i.e. music students for whom piano is their first instrument) are able to book time on the College's Steinway which is housed in the TS Eliot Theatre.
  2. The College Music Society organises a regular concert series, including lunchtime recitals most weeks during term and occasional evening concerts. The Chapel, the TS Eliot Theatre and the Mure Room are all used for performances and occasionally the College joins forces with University College to perform a concert in the Sheldonian Theatre. The Fidelio Orchestra and Kodály Choir are both student-led and offer all College instrumentalists and singers an opportunity to make music together. The College Choir consists of 30 undergraduate and postgraduate singers, many of whom are choral scholars. The choir sings services on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday during term and is directed by the Director of Music.
  3. The Student Support Sub-Committee welcomes applications for Master Grants for music tuition, for the repair and maintenance of musical instruments, and for participation in non-College musical activities. An application form should be submitted by Friday of 4th Week, or by the deadline in the Long Vacation stipulated at the end of Trinity term by the Student Support Administrator. Awards are only given once, and, in the case of final year students, not for activities taking place after 8th Week of the final Trinity term. (see section 9)

Withdrawal of library, computer, sports and music facilities

  1. Access to facilities may be withdrawn during maintenance, refurbishment and cleaning programmes, during stock taking, and on account of staff leave. Notice of closure will be given where possible.

The meal booking information in paragraphs 8, 9 and 10 is currently under review and may be subject to change. Notice of any changes will be communicated as necessary.

  1. Meals are normally served to junior members in Hall at the following times, except when the College is closed in the Easter and Christmas vacation:
Meal Days Times
Breakfast Monday to Saturday 8:15am - 9:15am (8:30am - 9:00am during vacations)
  Sunday Brunch 11:00am - 1:00pm (11:30am - 12:30pm during vacations)
Lunch Monday to Saturday 12:00 noon - 1:30pm (12:00 noon - 1:00pm during vacations)
  Sunday Brunch 11:00am - 1:00pm (11:30am - 12:30pm during vacations)
Dinner Monday to Friday Supper 6:00pm - 6:15pm (6:00pm - 6:30pm during vacation)
    Formal Hall 7:15pm (during full Term only)
  Saturday Supper 6:00pm - 6:30pm
  Sunday Supper 6:00pm - 6:15pm (6:00 - 6:30pm during vacation)
    Formal Hall 7:30 pm (during full Term only)
  1. Meal times may be subject to variation. In certain circumstances, meals may be cancelled when the Hall is required for other purposes.
  2. Formal Hall is served at table, other meals are self-service. Gowns are worn by all members of College at Formal Hall. The dress code is jacket and tie, or equivalent.
  3. Students and their guest attending Formal Hall are expected to be seated by 7:15pm (7:30pm Sunday) Late attendees may not be allow to join the dinner (no refund issued).
  4. The following Latin Grace is read before Formal Hall by the senior Postmaster or Exhibitioner present, or in their absence by a Fellow:

    Oculi omnium in te respiciunt, Domine, tu das escam illis tempore opportuno. Aperis manum tuam et imples omne animal benedictione tua. Benedicas nobis, Deus, omnibus donis quae de tua beneficentia accepturi simus. Per Jesum Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.

    (The eyes of all wait upon thee O Lord, and thou givest them their food in due season. Thou openest thine hand, and fillest all things living with plenteousness. Bless to our use, O Lord, all these gifts, of which by thy bounty we are about to partake. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.)
  5. Junior members must book for evening meals.
  6. New Junior members will have their meal accounts credited with £20 which will be added to their first battels bill. After that advance payments, minimum £20, may be made online through the meal booking system, or by cheque, cash, or most debit and credit cards at the Finance Bursary. Any unused credits will be refunded on battels at the end of the course of studies.
  7. During Full Term booking for supper and Formal Hall must be completed by 10:00am for dinner on the same day. There are restrictions on the numbers that may book in for supper and Formal Hall.
  8. During Full Term it is not necessary to book in advance for breakfast or lunch. Payment for the meal is completed by swiping the University card on the terminal in the Hall at mealtimes.
  9. During all vacation periods weekday lunches and dinners must be booked by 10:00am on the same day. Weekend meals (Saturday lunch and dinner, and Sunday brunch and dinner) must be booked by 10:00am on the Friday before the weekend. During the Long Vacation there is joint dining with the SCR, details of which are announced in advance. During this period, junior members dine with members of the SCR in either the Savile Room or the Senior Common Room. Junior members are not permitted to bring guests to meals during the period which joint dining arrangements are in place for reasons of space.
  10. Bookings for guest meals may be made via the College website. Up to three guests may be invited for any meal.
  11. Formal Hall seats can be reserved (reservation for a minimum of three attendees) by contacting the Head Steward in advance.
  12. Special Guest Nights are normally held in Hall on Fridays of 2nd, 4th and 6th Weeks.
  13. Copies of the menu (subject to last minute changes due to unavoidable circumstances) are published on a weekly basis on the intranet and online booking system. Vegetarian options are always available; halal and kosher meals are available on request at breakfast, lunch and early supper, but must be pre-booked for Formal Hall.
  14. Junior members can keep up to date with the Merton Kitchen by following its Facebook page.
  15. The kitchen is very happy to make every effort exclude the 14 notifiable allergens from dishes when requested to do so. All the staff have received training & are well aware of the allergens & where they typically occur. However all meals in College are prepared in the same kitchen & we make extensive use of multiple ingredients every day. Therefore although we take great care we cannot guarantee that our food does not contain traces of allergens. Please also be aware that where you have the opportunity to serve yourself (typically at breakfast & lunch) foods can be mixed, serving utensils can be moved from one dish to another & seeds etc. on bread for example can drop onto other things. In addition, to avoid any possible mix up, Junior Members with a medical allergy to any of these allergens must identify themselves to the Dining Hall Supervisor before the meal begins and ask a member of the Catering/Dining Hall/Waiting staff if the food provided is safe for them before they start eating.
    Junior members who are medically allergic to any of the 14 allergens listed must indicate this each and every time they sign in for a meal in College.
    The allergens are:

    • cereals containing gluten
    • crustaceans
    • molluscs
    • eggs
    • fish
    • peanuts
    • nuts
    • soya
    • milk
    • celery
    • mustard
    • sesame
    • lupin
    • sulphur dioxide (at a level above 10mg/kg or 10mg/litre)

    We are currently unable to exclude any other ingredients than those listed.

    PLEASE NOTE: if you request an alternative meal which is different to the standard including a meal free from allergens, vegan, kosher or halal & do not attend to eat it we may apply a further charge to your meal account to compensate for the extra work and preparation.

    Halal and Kosher food is available on request at breakfast, lunch and early supper in a simple version. Please pre-book for Formal Hall when the meal will be served in a thali style. Members of College can choose from the below options (subject to availability) on the booking system.

  1. Junior members are allocated individual mail boxes (‘pigeonholes’) in the Merton Street student mail room. All mail delivered by Royal Mail, mail carriers and internal mail addressed to a junior member at Merton College must be collected from the student mail room area; this includes parcels. Courier deliveries/parcels will be signed for by Lodge staff and put in the mail room. If any item of mail is too large for the junior member's mailbox, it will be placed underneath and a named/dated slip placed in their mail box as means of notification. If the item is of such high value, too large and/or fragile to be placed in the mail room, Lodge staff will notify the junior member by email to collect the item from the lodge itself. Such items must be collected from the lodge with 48 hours of the junior member being notified. All Recorded/Special Delivery Mail delivered by the Royal Mail will be recorded in a register in the Lodge; the Lodge staff will then notify that junior member of the arrival of this type of mail by means of email and or notification in the junior member’s pigeonhole. That junior member will then be required to sign for the item before it is released. All junior members must be aware that Lodge staff may request to see identification before an item of mail may be released. The junior members’ mail room is for mail only and not for the storage of personal items. Any personal items found in the mail room will be removed by Lodge staff and placed into found property. It is the responsibility of the junior members to keep this area tidy and to dispose of their mail packaging into the bins provided. It is the personal responsibility of junior members to destroy all personal data hard copy records including names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, bank details etc either by means of shredding and/or placing such data records in confidential waste bins provided for that purpose.
    The College’s postal address is Merton College, Merton Street, Oxford, OX1 4JD.
  2. Any written communication from the College to a junior member who is in residence (see paragraph 28) will be delivered to her or his pigeonhole at the Merton Street Lodge.
  3. Each junior member is allocated an email address in the domain by the University IT Services. Written instructions concerning the activation and use of email will be issued at the start of each academic year and are available at
  4. Any electronic communication from the College to a junior member who is in residence (see paragraph 28) will be delivered to their email address in the domain
  5. At the end of residency, the Lodge uses information provided on the central University student self-service portal to forward on mail. It is the Junior Member’s responsibility to ensure these records are updated regularly with the correct current address for forwarding mail. In the event an address is not provided, all mail is returned to sender.
  1. Information about presentation for and conferment of degrees can be found on the College website.
  2. Taught course students will receive an email invitation from the University’s Degree Conferrals Team at the start of their final year with information about booking a degree ceremony. Research students granted leave to supplicate will also receive an email invitation from the University’s Degree Conferrals Team with information about booking a degree ceremony. Further details are available at

The University’s Student Immigration Team is able to assist international students applying to extend their leave to remain in the UK. For further information see

  1. The College's online presence consists of the website, this intranet and the College's social media channels. These are maintained, managed and developed by the Web & Media Officer, in conjunction and consultation with other members of staff, Fellows and junior members as appropriate.
  2. The website is the primary source of public information about the College; it is intended to reflect all aspects of College life and the Merton community, to engage and interest prospective students and members of staff, and to promote the College's activities and facilities to alumni, the wider academic community and the general public. Members are encouraged to visit the website regularly, to comment constructively on its content, structure and design, and offer suggestions and material for inclusion on the website.
  3. The intranet is the primary source of information for current members of the College. In order to access most information, documentation, and functionality on the intranet, users need to log in using their Oxford Single Sign-On credentials. On logging in students are redirected to the student homepage, which carries information and links of particular interest to the student body. Members are encouraged to visit the intranet at least once a day, as notifications and event listings are added frequently throughout the week. (Notifications appear on the main homepage; access to this does not require a log in.) Anyone who wishes to submit content for inclusion on the intranet—for example, to promote a College club or society event or activity—should contact the Web & Media Officer. Application forms for grants, room booking, summer accommodation and many others can be found on the intranet. There is also a searchable contact list with staff and fellows' phone numbers and room locations.
  4. The College's social media presence includes its Facebook pageTwitter account and YouTube channel. Members are encouraged to 'like'—and follow—the College on Facebook, to follow @MertonCollege on Twitter, and similarly to engage with the College on other channels where they themselves are active. There are a number of other College-related Facebook pages and Twitter accounts with which members may also wish to engage.
  5. Requests and suggestions for content to be added to or shared via any of these channels should be sent to the Web & Media Officer, or made direct via the relevant channel (e.g. Twitter DM, Facebook message, etc.)
  6. Members are reminded that they should conduct themselves in an appropriate manner when they are using social media and have identified themselves — either explicitly or implicitly — as having an affiliation with the College. Any member whose comments or behaviour online are deemed to have breached College Regulations, or to have otherwise brought the College into disrepute, will be subject to disciplinary procedures.
  7. Any use of Merton College’s graphic identity, including the College’s coat-of-arms, its colours, logo, font and images, and the crests and logos of subsidiary groups (for example the JCR and MCR), should adhere to the College’s design guidelines. All junior members wishing to use the College’s coat-of-arms, colours, images, font and/or logo should contact the Alumni Communications Officer in the Development Office in the first instance.
  1. The College’s Development Office has two main functions: to maintain contact with alumni, in their lifelong relationship with Merton and as part of a worldwide community of Mertonians; and to raise money to support the core aims of the College set out in its founding statutes ("for the public benefit, to advance education, learning, research and religion"). The Development Director and Deputy Director of Development are the principal major gifts fundraisers for the College.
  2. Whilst primarily responsible for alumni and external relations to the College, the Development Office provides the following opportunities and services for all students:
    • A number of networking events each year, including (but not limited to) gatherings of the College’s Lawyers Association and 'Merton in the City' networks;
    • The opportunity to volunteer at various events;
    • Employment opportunities within the context of the College’s Telephone Campaigns (roughly one per annum);
    • A range of publications, summarising College news (for which student input is warmly welcomed);
    • Advice on using Merton College branding for publications or in any other instances (via the Alumni Communications Officer, brand guardian for the College);
    • Liaison with the University Careers Service to ensure that students are aware of the career mentoring and internship opportunities available to students, both from Mertonians and other Oxford alumni;
    • A range of College merchandise which is available for purchase from the Lodge or Development Office.
  3. Current students are welcome to come to the Development Office or contact staff if they have feedback, suggestions, or ideas from their own experience which they think could be of interest to the outside world.